Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Bex Mosaic Madness

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Bex Mosaic Madness

Post by QueenBex »

I think I shall place all my mosaic creations and chitter chatter here.

If my laptop will let me next Wednesday I shall get a how-to post up, or at least, how I've been cobbling mine together. Also, if you're lucky, I'll put up a materials and tools list.

For now I shall reserve a comment for said how to then share my first attempt at the art of mosaics.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Re: Bex Mosaic Madness

Post by QueenBex »

Bex and the How-to guide for mosaic making.

(reserved space to be filled, be good to have it up near the start)

Step The First; acquire a piece of mdf,
I got itchy to make some more so I got some mdf from the back of an old picture and cut it in half, didn't want that picture anymore anyway :p a bit thin, but should be OK.
I got itchy to make some more so I got some mdf from the back of an old picture and cut it in half, didn't want that picture anymore anyway :p a bit thin, but should be OK.
IMG_2015041440523.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
buy at local hardware store, off ebay, out the backs of old picture frames, hobby store, ask a friend, ask a non friend, just grab a bit of wood.

Step The Second;
Score your newly acquired wood.
IMG_201504145219.jpg
IMG_201504145219.jpg (26.6 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
Use a craft or diy knife, one of those Stanley doobreys. Not recommended; using a spoon, using your cat, letting your small child do it with the carving knife.

Step The Third;
Using watered down pva
IMG_201504141421.jpg
IMG_201504141421.jpg (30.48 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
Coat the wood in watered down pva, slap it on, smother it. Please Note: no licking of the surface is required.
IMG_2015041411465.jpg
IMG_2015041411465.jpg (32.92 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
Step The Fourth
Draw out your design onto the wood. Artistic flourishes, random muttering and excessive erasing is encouraged throughout this stage.
IMG_2015041546480.jpg
IMG_2015041546480.jpg (31.25 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
Attention! Space overload! Please mind the gap! Vehicle reversing! System reboot! Go to a another comment box!

Step The Next
Please hold, your call is important to us, you are being held in a queue, and you are currently thinking of escape routes.
Last edited by QueenBex on Wed May 06, 2015 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Step The Fifth
Grab some glue! Sticky stuff! Tile adhesive is how I coped with my independence, but now I'm an adult and I use adult glue, better known as wood pva.
The devil's glue aka tile adhesive
The devil's glue aka tile adhesive
IMG_2015050649700.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
If using the evil glue aka tile adhesive, once dry use a knife to scrap it out from between the tiles to give enough space for the grout to go into later. This takes poops amount of time and is therefore stinky. Get your mitts on wood pva as soon as possible if not sooner.

Step The Sith; prepare for battle
WHEELED TILE CUTTERS. So there.
Use these to snip away at the tiles. The cutters are not sharp just harder then a London bouncer on the Saturday night shift.
A sweet Embrace of tile and wheeled cutter
A sweet Embrace of tile and wheeled cutter
IMG_201505069138.jpg (23.21 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
Step The se7en
Real people do it in a bag!!!
Importance level 7! Cut your tiles within a bag so the bag catches the flying debris of snipped tiles! Saves a sharp bit of tile getting in your eye and you can use the offcuts!
IMG_2015050622477.jpg
IMG_2015050622477.jpg (25.33 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
Last edited by QueenBex on Wed May 06, 2015 7:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

I'm definitely looking forward to the how-to! I have no clue how to make something like this, but I enjoyed watching Pablo come together on FB!
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Thanks! Like I said, hoping to do it Wednesday before the next d&d, which reminds me I still need to post my first elemental evil session post.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Just added a new picture taken on an actual camera! ooooooo!

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

QueenBex wrote:Just added a new picture taken on an actual camera! ooooooo!
Makes such a difference! Really can see all the little details and just makes him pop all the more. :)
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

How fun...you are so creative!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Kareesh wrote:
QueenBex wrote:Just added a new picture taken on an actual camera! ooooooo!
Makes such a difference! Really can see all the little details and just makes him pop all the more. :)
Indeed it does!
Firehawke wrote:How fun...you are so creative!
:D thanks!

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

WARNING! Earlier post has been updated with a few steps of the Mystical mosaic-ing process! PLEASE FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS AND DON ALL THIMBLES. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.