Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Superhero Wooden Dolls

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
jadely
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Superhero Wooden Dolls

Post by jadely »

I made this for a friend's little boy who is turning 4 :) I originally wanted to traditional peg person that had a straight body and head, but after going to THREE craft stores today and having them all be sold out, I just improvised.

I used a "Wooden Candle Cup" and a "Wooden Ball Knob" to make the form and then used acrylic craft paint, topped off with a wood sealer/varnish type stuff. I looked at other peg people as examples and meshed a bunch of their ideas together. I also got one of those photo boxes and painted it black and added white squares to make it look like a building.

Things I'd change next time:

1. Hot glue the body to the head AFTER painting. If you look close, you'll see that in the neckline, it looks wonky due to not being able to paint it correctly.
2. Use a coat of white BEFORE yellow and skin tone. Grrr. I know I need to, but I always forget and end up having to do TONS of coats in yellow-ish hues.
3. Buy Paint Markers. Thought I would be fine... Nope. All my DC fellas look a bit Derpy. Husband just claims it's because Marvel is better anyways. I was trying to show equal love.
4. Never freehand paint a square. I couldn't do it if my life depending on it. I think I'll just buy some of those wooden squares and glue them on, maybe with some lettering to make it look like a business. I've been tossing around a few ideas in my head to make a portable city/play area for them.

My next step? Make more superheroes for my daughter, along with some Disney princesses, and make some play sets with them.

Let me know if you guys have any AWESOME ideas for peg people... the Geeky possibilities are endless!
Spoiler
All (600x800).jpg
All (600x800).jpg (276.72 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
Spoiler
Marvel (800x600).jpg
Marvel (800x600).jpg (262.64 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
Spoiler
DC (800x600).jpg
DC (800x600).jpg (252.38 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
Spoiler
Back (800x600).jpg
Back (800x600).jpg (274.38 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

Current Projects
Star Wars Alphabet book

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Superhero Wooden Dolls

Post by funkymonkey »

Wow these turned out great! Nice job!

SheWhoRoars
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by SheWhoRoars »

If you do the Disney princesses, be sure to post them, because that would be so adorable! And that's a great idea for making the body of them. I might have to do the cast of LotR and the Hobbit in these :D

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

These are so cool! And a very creative idea for making them. The possibilities really are endless for character sets you could make. Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Final Fantasy.....

jadely
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by jadely »

TigerLily wrote:These are so cool! And a very creative idea for making them. The possibilities really are endless for character sets you could make. Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Final Fantasy.....
A LoTR would be so cool! Could do a tall skinny one for Gandalf, short ones for Hobbits/Dwarves, and something cool would have to be done for the Eye of Sauron. Maybe even some wooden towers.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

Current Projects
Star Wars Alphabet book

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Imagining a LotR playset makes me want to be a little kid again! Have the journey to Mordor across the house...

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

This is a great idea. I'll have to store this in the back of my head for my daughter. Maybe for her 3rd birthday (which should give me enough time as it's in a year)? Hmm....
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

BooChocoBoom
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by BooChocoBoom »

jadely wrote:A LoTR would be so cool! Could do a tall skinny one for Gandalf, short ones for Hobbits/Dwarves, and something cool would have to be done for the Eye of Sauron. Maybe even some wooden towers.
This. OMG, this. I am making this for my 4 year old cousin. Though I guarantee his Mom will be the one playing with them the most. They have a ton of legos but these could be far more portable - store them in a themed lunch box perhaps? Great idea to begin with! The superheroes are awesome!
Current projects:
Leftover swap gifts
HP House Scarves
Secret of Mana charity square
Vid game advent calendar

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

omg omg omg omg omg these are soooooooooo awesome! Fantastically done! :D
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

jadely
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by jadely »

BooChocoBoom wrote:
jadely wrote:A LoTR would be so cool! Could do a tall skinny one for Gandalf, short ones for Hobbits/Dwarves, and something cool would have to be done for the Eye of Sauron. Maybe even some wooden towers.
This. OMG, this. I am making this for my 4 year old cousin. Though I guarantee his Mom will be the one playing with them the most. They have a ton of legos but these could be far more portable - store them in a themed lunch box perhaps? Great idea to begin with! The superheroes are awesome!

AHH! In a themed lunchbox! How brillant! When/if you make them, please post pics so I can copy your designs. My sketches have been rubbish :(

Current Projects
Star Wars Alphabet book