Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Companion Cube Crochet Blanket WIP - On Hiatus

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Companion Cube Crochet Blanket WIP

Post by Knittenkitten »

The only thing that I know of would possibly be blocking each piece. Basically get each piece damp and pin it into the shape that you want. Not sure if you would want to do that with the amount of squares you have though.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

What type of yarn did you use? If it's acrylic, blocking might be a bit more difficult. If it's wool-based, blocking is probably your best bet.

If it is acrylic, something I do is this (not sure how recommended by others it would be) :
I put a thick towel or ironing mat on the counter, place a square on the towel and then another towel (Or fold the towel over) on top of the square.
Then I take a heated iron and gently place it on top of the towel where the square is for around 5-10 seconds.

The problem with this method is the reason it works. Acryclic yarn loses a bit of it's flex when put under heat. The heat kind of forces it into place. If you want to try this, do a test square first. Even make a new one specifically for testing if you have yarn left over. Definitely do the test though if you're thinking of trying it. You need to check how it looks and how it feels afterwards. Some yarns will lose their softness doing this.

An added benefit is that it's quicker than blocking since you don't need to wait for them to dry. I used this method when making a 'Paul McCartney Granny Square Vest' for the 190 squares or so I had made. But it is only worth it if it works exactly how you want it to.

Aridesh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Aridesh »

I used an acrylic and wool blend. 70% acrylic, 30% wool. Would the best bet for that be the ironing method? Or could it be blocked?
Current WIPs: Baby's Christmas Stocking
Shop: fromarideshwithlove.tictail.com
Blog: fromarideshwithlove.wordpress.com
Most progress pictures are on my Instagram. http://www.instagram.com/craftyaridesh

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

Aridesh wrote:I used an acrylic and wool blend. 70% acrylic, 30% wool. Would the best bet for that be the ironing method? Or could it be blocked?
Your safest bet would probably be to try to block the squares then. That way you don't run the risk of hurting any of your pretty squares. :)

Lalina
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Lalina »

I've made a few blankets (some with granny squares some with blocks of sc stitches) and I've found that the squares with fix themselves once you have attached them on all sides. My favourite method is slip-stitching squares together like knitten kitten mentioned. It does create a ridge at the back but I still love it. If I don't want a ridge I will simply whip stitch everything together.

There are a few tutorials on various attaching methods here: http://www.knotyournanascrochet.com/201 ... uares.html

Tutorials 2,3,5 and 6 would all work for your piece (you have to click on the links for directions). They also include handy images so that you can have an idea of how your piece will turn out (for example you can see how using an invisible stich will skew things a little but turn out pretty nicely in the end).

It is not necessary to block your squares beforhand. I am currently working on a moogle blanket. I think I would stab someone if I had to block the 300+ squares I was making.
Current Projects:
- Game of Thrones/Mario World Mash-up (cross-stitch)

Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Siva »

I cant wait to see the finished blanket, I'm so jealous!! I really wanted to make this, but after 2 granny squares I gave up. Crocheting and knitting apparently aren't my thing.

Aridesh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Companion Cube Crochet Blanket WIP - On Hiatus

Post by Aridesh »

I am sort of working on this again... I restarted. I am making it all one piece, rather than many squares. It will take a long time. I have a 4 month old now, and he likes to occupy my former craft time (but I'm pretty okay with it because he's cute!), but it will be done eventually. I'll post WIPs if they're wanted, but they may be scarce!
Current WIPs: Baby's Christmas Stocking
Shop: fromarideshwithlove.tictail.com
Blog: fromarideshwithlove.wordpress.com
Most progress pictures are on my Instagram. http://www.instagram.com/craftyaridesh

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

Oh no, I'm sorry that you had to start over. If you are able to find the time to post WIPs, I know I would love to see your progress.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Good luck!!! Working on blankets always seems to be more time consuming that one would think, especially with a little helper!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson